Friday, July 15, 2005

A moving moment today

I happened to be at Buckingham Palace today when the two minutes silence was held.

It was a very moving moment as everybody and everything stopped and many heads were bowed.

I thought about those who had died a week ago and their relatives who have lost them, I also thought about the many thousands who have lost thier lives and loved ones in Iraq, Afghanistan and so many other places because of mindless violence.

I thought about the people I have met and worked with in East Africa, the Balkans and the Baltic and the courage they have shown in coming through such conflict and working for peace, liberty and democracy.

It is a moment I will remember.

And then they changed the guard, which I have never watched before. It was very colourful and cheerful and demonstrated, I thought, that life in London goes on.

No comments: