Friday, September 16, 2005

Blackpool beckons

Off to sunny Blackpool for Lib Dem Conference tomorrow. I like Blackpool. It brings back memories of a) childhood holidays and b) the 15 NUS conferences I attended in my student days.

In fact there will be several of our new MPs making speeches this week who I first saw making speeches at NUS conferences in the Winter Gardens.

Conference for me is not about debates in the main hall and fringe meetings, but training sessions and meetings with constuency teams. And of course the chance to catch up with the many friends I have made over the years in different parts of the country.

As usual the conference the media is reporting bears little resemblance to the one Lib Dems are heading off to.

Media comment seems to revolve around the leadership of the party and whether we will be moving to the right or the left.

To Lib Dem activists the leadership is not in question. I guess the journalists are just so busy reporting on the various other parties' leadership wrangles (I see that even the tiny Plaid Cymru are joining in) that they expect us to have them to.

And Lib Dem simply do not see our party in terms of being on the left or right - we just get on an apply our liberal principles to the problems acing the country and try and come up with solution that will work.

This seems very simple to us and it is difficult to understand why the journos don't get it.

I am looking forward to getting to my hotel as it has been built underneath the Pepsi Max rollercoaster at the Pleasure Beach. I know what I'll be doing when conference gets boring!

3 comments:

FantasyFootballHelpers.com said...

Vote
Foreign aid for Katrina flies into Ark. base WP: For evacuees, next step uncertain WP: Study: Severe hurricanes increasing On the Scene: Among Katrina's Outcasts Rescue teams leave food and water for pets ...
Now this is a blog! good work! It also relates to my site...

It is a fantasy football info site. It covers fantasy football info related info. I also have some blogs within it!

Come and check it out...

cymrumark said...

Less of the little Plaid Cymru please...it seems the even sm,aller Welsh Lib dems have their own problems ask Peter Black!

Liberal Neil said...

I knew that comment would bring you out of the woodwork;-)