Tuesday, November 04, 2008

How long would you wait in line to vote?

It seems pretty bizarre to me that the wealthiest country in the world doesn't seem able to organise itself to run an election properly - but such is the enthusiam generated by the campaign this time that it doesn't seem to be stopping folk from voting.

The Obama campaign have done a terrific job of making his supporters want to get out and vote for him, as the polling of early voters shows.

Such is the enthusiasm that 1,000 students in Pennsilvania were queuing up at 7am this morning ready to vote!

CNN's Jack Cafferty asked viewers how long they would stand in line to vote and I found the responses quite inspiring.

Amongst my favorites were:

Michelle from New Hampshire:

I am prepared and willing to wait all day. I have cleared my calendar to make sure I can spend the whole day. And the time I don’t spend waiting or voting, I will spend poll watching and holding signs. This is far too important not to make a personal sacrifice to make sure my vote counts. And, as an Army wife, one day of work loss is meaningless compared to the days my husband has and will spend on deployment. To all within the sound of your voice: Get out and vote!

LaShunda from Mobile, Alabama:

I am seven months pregnant and standing for long periods of time hurts my back tremendously, but in spite of my pain I plan on standing in line as long as it takes to exercise my right to vote, especially when those before me endured even greater hardships to have this right.

Joe St Louis, MO:

I have been waiting 8 years to vote…….

And this comment from a Candian reflects my own view:

Marie, Ontario:

Well Jack I’ve been voting here in Canada for over 40 years and can’t remember more than a half dozen people being in front of me in a line to vote.

This makes me wonder how a country that can send a man to the moon can’t organize and run elections without having so much turmoil and such lengthy delays at the polls.

Anyway to answer your question if I was an American I would wait all day and half the night to cast my vote for Obama as I feel it is just that important.

2 comments:

Paul Hulbert said...

At the first election after all women got the vote in the UK, my grandmother and her friend got there an hour or two early. When the polling station opened they walked in together so they could claim to have been the first to vote.

Pat R said...

it's awesome that there has been this "problem" of long lines all over... people taking a greater interest in public issues is always a good thing