Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Gig frenzy

I am very pleased to have been able to go to a load of brilliant gigs recently.

I saw Fish in Cirencester a couple of weeks ago on his 'Return to Childhood' tour, it being 20 years (where did they go) since Marillion's Misplaced Childhood album was released. The first half of the show was a variety of his solo material and the second was a full run through of the album. This is one of my all time favourite albums and it was a delight to hear it played in full.

I then went to see Opeth in Oxford. Opeth are a sort of progressive death metal outfit and certainly the loudest band I have seen for a while. They are from Stockholm in Sweden and the frontman was very amusing, playing on his limited english vocabulary to great effect. Incredible musicians.

Next it was Marillion at the Kentish Town Forum on the finla date of their Not Quite Christmas Tour. I was in the balcony due to the downstairs tickets having sold out. This was one of the best gigs I have ever been to. Two and a half hours including thre encores, finishing with a hilarious Pogues style parody of their most rcent album title track. This album 'Marbles' was a real return to form for the band and they looked and sounded like a band at the top of their game.

On Thursday I went to see Magnum at the Astoria. They are also celebrating a 20th anniversary - of their most successful album On A Storytellers Night. Again the first half of the set was a mix of material from their ecellent back catalogue with the second half being the album in full. Magnum were one of the first bands i ever saw and they are still a terrific live act.

And on Friday I am off to see KINO - a prog rock 'supergroup' which includes Pete Trewavas from Marillion and John Mitchell from Arena. I am hoping to meet up for a pre-gig drink or two with other Marillion fans before heading for what will be a good and christmassy final gig of the year.

Rock on!

No comments: