Thursday, May 17, 2007

From out of nowhere ...

Rumours abound in Oxford political circles that two councillors are about to form a Conservative Group on the City Council. (see here, here and here)

If they do so it will be the first time there has been a Tory group since 1996 when I was fortunate to be the agent for the Lib Dem candidates that booted the last Tories off (other than a very brief period when one was elected by accident in Martson a few years ago).

Having gone 10 years without a group I can understand the Tories' frustration, but I would have thought that putting a bit of effort in to win a seat at an election might be seen as a more popular way of getting some councillors.

Instead they have persuaded the political equivalent of 'hand me downs' to become Conservatives.

Knowing both councillors concerned I will be astounded if they have really become Conservatives.

Knowing a fair few Oxfordshire Conservatives I wonder how pleased they will be with their new recruits.

I do hope they get along ...

No comments: