Sunday, October 18, 2009

Fancy a pint of freedom this evening?

A few weeks ago I bought a batch of beer from our local farm shop, one of which was a bottle of William Wilberforce Freedom Ale from those nice people at the Westerham Brewery in Kent.

On reading the label I discovered that the beer had been brewed to commemorate the 200 anniversary of the abolition of slavery, and that profits from the beer were being given to the Stop The Traffik campaign.

Now this sparked my interest because I had just been talking to our new Lib Dem MEP for the South East, Catherine Bearder, about this very issue.

Following a chat with her staff we then arranged for Catherine to visit the brewery, which she did on Friday with Lib Dem blogger Antony Hook.

This evening we will be meeting at the Royal Blenheim pub in Oxford to drink a few pints of Freedom Ale (and quite possibly some of the excellent White Horse beers they have on tap there) in support of the European Union's Anti-Trafficking Day.

Do feel free to join us.

1 comment:

Jennie Rigg said...

Sounds nummy!

Just wanted to check you got my email, really. Did I fall into your spam trap?